Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Young and Old

Well, this week was a little busy for cakes.  First, I had a Over the Hill cake for a girl at work. Her husband turned 50.  I made the guy out of fondant.  It was a simple cake but I think it turned out well.  The pan that I rented, Wonder mold pan, did very well.  I was glad that it didn't cause any last minute problems. 


The second cake of the week was for Paul's sister and husband.  It was their birthday so I decided to bake them cupcakes.  I really like these as they are very springy and not gender oriented.  I made the bumble bees out of fondant.  The grass was made from a tip.  I made 12 in all.  They seemed to like them.  A girl at work gave me a great idea!  I want to try and make those bees out of cake pops sometime.  I think they would go over very well that way also.


Lastly was a Baptism cake.  My good friend Lindsey got her little girl baptised today.  She wanted a chocolate cake with white frosting.  This is the new frosting that I made.  I think it turned out better this time.  I am going to keep using it.  The cross was made from candy melts.  The flowers are from fondant.  This is the first time I did ribbon on a cake and it turned out pretty well.  I am glad I was able to try the ribbon as the wedding cake I am doing in July has ribbon also.  I like how this cake turned out.  I was a little nervous with the chocolate cake, I normally would have a lot more crumbs in the frosting.  But the new frosting is proving to be very well with spreading so I have barely any crumbs.  If you were to see some of my other older cakes you would see a lot more crumbs.  I think it is a keeper.

This coming week I have a baby shower cake due for a girl at work.  It is for a baby boy.  Should be fun.  On a side note, I am thinking of selling Lia Sophia jewelry to help save for a house.  I am weighing the pros and cons at this point.  If you have any input please let me know. If I do decide to do it, I will scale back on the cakes.  I don't make that much money off them and they are very time consuming as they take multiple days to do.  I will be praying the next couple weeks to see if it would be a good thing or not.  I will keep you posted on the decision.
Thanks for looking and hope everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment