Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cake-Tastic!

I had an order for the ice cream cone cake pops that are the background pic on here.  A lady at work wanted them for Easter.  I made 24 yellow cake ones.  I thought since I get asked all the time to make them, I would just post it.  I took pics throughout the process for you to see.  Have fun making them!  You will see how easy they really are to make, just a little time consuming.

First bake and cool completely 9x13 cake.  I use Duncan Hines.  I normally let cool over night.  Then crumble cake in large bowl.  I just cut in 4ths and break apart in bowl with hands.  Then add frosting.  I found the cake is pretty moist, especially the top so I only use about 1/2 can of frosting.  Do not use whipped frosting for this.  I was trying to think of a way to describe how it should be, I came up with resembles cookie dough a little bit.  You don't want it too moist with frosting, or it will fall off your stick.
I put saran on top and throw in the fridge for about 20 minutes to firm a bit.   While that is cooling, I will cut my cones.  I buy the generic ones, works the same and costs half the price.  Use a serrated knife to cut off about an inch or so from the top.

Then roll the cake into balls.  I use a tablespoon to dish out. Helps keep around the same size.  For these, I normally do about 1 1/2 inch balls or so.  Always test the first one against your cut cone to see if it is the right size.  Wouldn't want too small a ball so it doesn't sit on top :)  Just roll in hands and set on cookie sheet.  For the bigger balls, you will get around 25 out of 1 cake.  Once all rolled, put saran on top and put in freezer for 20 minutes. Then take out and set in fridge.

Get all your other supplies ready for you will need it all portioned and ready to go.  Here is everything that I used.  Candy melts, you can buy at Michaels, JoAnns or even Walmart.  1 bag will do a batch of cones.  I used chocolate that I bought at Lynn's Cake and Candy store.  You can use brown candy melts, chocolate almond bark etc for the topping.  I have red gumballs and sprinkles.  You will also need something to hold the cones upright.  I have Styrofoam with the holes already made.  You also need a couple sticks for dipping.

Melt the candy melts first time at 50% power for a minute. Stir and melt in 30 second intervals at 50% power till fully melted.  I like to let it cool for a minute or two before dipping.  Take 4 balls out at a time.  Put ball on stick and dip straight down in melts.  Do not swirl around, that will cause crumbs.  If you need a little more coverage, use a spoon at that point, pull straight up.  Hold in one hand and tap your wrist with the other hand to get excess melts off.  Place on cone, and add sprinkles. Put in Styrofoam to dry.  Repeat till all balls are on cones. 



Melt the chocolate and drizzle on top with a spoon.  Put gumball on top.  Let them dry completely. That is it!
I cover mine with a baggie and twist tie for transport. 
Hope you have fun making them! 

Have a great Easter everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment